In ancient times, Egyptian beekeepers would be honoured and rewarded handsomely should the honey from his farm be presented to the Pharoah. It was believed that the honey and its components would contribute to the Pharoah’s long life and well-being.
Apart from honey, other bee-based products such as propolis, pollen and the most of all Royal Jelly, have been described as “nature’s perfect food” because of its completely balanced nutrient content.
Royal Jelly is not a jelly or jam, nor is it honey or pollen. Royal Jelly is food fit for a queen – a queen bee, that is.
This milky substance, secreted from glands in a worker bee’s head, is the life-sustaining food for all worker bees for the first 3 days of life. After that, it will be reserved just for Her Majesty. Only the queen bee is fed on royal jelly for her entire life.
With this special diet, the queen bee grows much larger and lives 30 times longer than the worker bees. It also remains incredibly fertile, producing 3 million eggs in a lifetime.
Royal Jelly is a rich treasure trove of nutrients and energy, with:
▪ 12-13% protein, 12-15% carbohydrates, 5-6% beneficial lipids, including important fatty acids
▪ All the B complex vitamins, with Pantothenic acid (Vit B5) and pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)
▪ 18 amino acids (8 of which our body need but cannot produce on its own)
▪ A good source of natural sugars, sterols and phosphorus compounds as well as acetylcholine, the nutrient involved in the transmission of nerve messages in the brain
▪ An abundance of vitamin A, C, D, E, minerals, enzymes and nucleic acid (DNA and RNA) – the genetic code which makes up life.
▪ Promotes beauty and youthfulness – Royal Jelly has been traditionally known to prolong youthfulness and improve beauty. It produces an age-retarding, longevity-enhancing effect. Herbalists claim that it is especially effective in controlling the ageing process, nourishing the skin and erasing facial blemishes and wrinkles.
▪ Immune system booster – Royal jelly has a supply of 10-hydroxydecanoic acid (HDA), the active antibiotic factor found in royal jelly that helps control the invasion of harmful microorganisms into our body. It also contains gamma globulin, proteins known to stimulate the immune system and fight off infections.
▪ For vitality and stamina – Royal jelly stimulates the adrenal glands to produce a positive reaction on increased metabolism and enhanced energy.It is strongly recommended for those who are recuperating after surgery or illness. Royal Jelly has also been used to enhance sexual performance.
This educational article is brought to you by Vitahealth.