Can’t resist the zesty taste of fresh lemons? Here are two easy and fun ways you and your family can enjoy them.
Lemons are not just for lemonades and other thirst-quenchers, you can have them as an ingredient in your main meals and desserts too. If you’ve read all about the wonderful benefits of lemons (page XX), you’re probably eager to find out how you can enjoy them in new ways. Here are two easy recipes for you to try out.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
3 Large eggs
115 g Plain flour
1 tbsp Baking powder
130 ml Milk
1 Pinch of salt
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon zest
1 tsp Poppy seeds
- Separate the eggs by putting the egg whites and yolks in two separate bowls.
- Then, in another large bowl, whip egg yolks, milk, flour, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, poppy seeds and baking powder, until the mixture forms a smooth batter.
- Whisk the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks and fold into the batter.
- Heat a non-stick cooking pan and lightly grease the pan with butter or vegetable spray.
- Spoon the batter on to the pan and cook for a few minutes or until golden brown. Then, flip to the other side cook till golden brown as well.
- Repeat step 5 with the remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes while it’s hot and fluffy. You can eat it on its own or with some honey and fresh fruits.
Zesty Grilled Fish
½ Lemon, zested and juiced
2 Sole fish fillet
1 Pinch of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 180ᵒ
- Season fish fillets with lemon zest, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place fish fillets in a foil and pour lemon juice over the foil.
- Seal the foil completely by folding it into a packet and bake the fish in the oven.
- After 10 minutes, take the foil packet with the fish out of the oven and open the foil slightly (about 0.5 mm).
- Then put the foil packet back in the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the fish is well cooked.
- Serve hot alongside fresh vegetables and mash potatoes.