As the saying goes, you are what you eat. So, consider including anti-cancer food in your diet. Also, re-consider how you prepare your food as cooking methods may either help or hurt your anti-cancer efforts.
Food, glorious food. Some people live to eat; others eat to live. There are still others who kill themselves slowly by eating unhealthy food that causes cancer. Making diet changes such as consuming more vegetables and fruits can reduce the risk of many types of cancer. In addition, try to prepare and store your food in healthy ways. By making smart choices, you can protect your health, feel better, and enhance your ability fight off cancer. Some important anti-cancer nutrition tips are discussed in this article.
Give priority to plant-based foods
Many types of plant-based foods are packed with powerful anti-oxidants and other compounds that protect your DNA and destroy free radicals. Such beneficial foods include fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains. They contain less fat but more fibre. Also, remember that the less processed the plant-based food, the better it is for fighting cancer. For example, eating an apple is better than drinking a can of apple juice. As the abuse of using excessive pesticides still exists in some farms, it is always better to buy organic produce. A second benefit of eating plant-based food is that it increases your fibre intake. Fibre is not digested in the stomach and plays an important role in cleaning your digestive system. In simple terms, fibre functions like a broom, sweeping out cancer-causing compounds before they can harm the body.
Reduce intake of meat
Apart from the fact that meat does not contain fibre, eating too much of it is bad as it contains saturated fats. You need not become a vegetarian but preferring leaner meats such as fish and chicken can cut down your cancer risks substantially. Meat products such as hotdogs, sausages and bacon are extremely high in saturated fats.Also avoid fast food and fried foods and packaged food that can be conveniently served after heating in the microwave oven. Foods high in saturated fats can develop carcinogenic compounds.
Choose a variety of anti-cancer foods
Abstaining from smoking, alcohol-intake, and exercising regularly are a great start to an anti-cancer lifestyle. However, you also should also emphasize consuming powerful anti-cancer foods that can protect you. Don’t depend on a single food to fight cancer. Eat a variety of anti-cancer foods because they work in synergy.
Last but not least, always drink plenty of water. Water is essential to all bodily functions. It stimulates the immune system, removes waste and toxins, and transports nutrients to all of your organs.
Prepare your food in healthy ways
Just as choosing wholesome food is important, it is also vital that food be cooked in healthy ways. Do not over-cook plant-based food as it destroys all nutrients. All fruits and vegetables should be washed or peeled before cooking or eating. Using a vegetable brush will get rid of all pesticide residue.Prefer baking, boiling and steaming to deep-frying, pan-frying, and sautéing. Do not cook oils on high heat. Low-heat cooking or baking (less than 240 degrees) prevents oils or fats from turning carcinogenic. Examples of foods that have carcinogens are cured, dried, and preserved meats (e.g. bacon, sausage); and burned or charred meats.The following foods are extremely bad for health when grilled well done: chicken breast, steak, pork, salmon and hamburger. Also, be careful what container you put in the microwave oven. Avoid plastic containers, and make sure it is microwave-safe.
A list of ten recommended foods are as follows:
1. Tea: Both black and green teas have anti-cancer properties.
2. Garlic: Garlic contains allicin which has anti-fungal,anti-oxidant and antibiotic properties.
3. Pumpkin: This vegetable is rich in beta-carotene andalpha-carotene, which fights lung and ovarian cancer.
4. Broccoli: Studies have shown that broccoli triggersanti-oxidant activity that can last for days. Broccolicontains sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol that areheroes in fighting prostate, bladder, colon and otherhormone-related cancers.
5. Berries: Blueberry, raspberry and strawberry are rich inanthocyanins that help to prevent tumour growth.
6. Soybean: The active element in soybean is genisten whichinhibits dangerous proteins linked to the growth of cancercells.
7. Turmeric: A spoonful of turmeric added to soup cangenerate huge cancer- preventive benefits. Curcumim,a phytochemical in turmeric, has anti-oxidant andanti-inflammatory properties.
8. Pineapple: This lowly-rated fruit is beneficial in preventing both lung and breast cancer due to its enzyme bromelain.
9. Tomatoes: After having reviewed more than 70 studies oftomatoes, the National Cancer Institute of USA hasconcluded that lycopene, the active ingredient, can reduce the risk of several types of cancer.
10. Onion: Daily consumption of onions have powerful effectsin stopping cancer in its tracks. It also contains vitamins andminerals.