Here are two delicious reasons to add tomatoes to your daily meals!
Originally from South America, tomatoes contain nutritious lycopene which is a type of antioxidant. Although often perceived as a vegetable in the culinary world, tomatoes are botanically classified as a fruit. Tomatoes are available in all shapes and sizes including tiny cherry tomatoes, round plum tomatoes and large Heirloom tomatoes. From salsa to Bolognese pasta sauce, tomatoes are great companions for any dish. Here are two delicious ways to enjoy this beautiful fruit.
100 g Cherry tomatoes
500 g Yellow watermelon
8 cubes Feta cheese
A bunch of basil leaves
1. Soak satay sticks in water, overnight.
2. De-seed the watermelon and cut into two-centimetre cubes.
3. Place all ingredients in individual plates.
4. Skew the ingredients according to this sequence:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Basil leaf
- Feta cheese
- Basil leaf
5. Serve chilled.
1 can Tuna in water
1 Onion, chopped finely
½ Cucumber, shredded finely
2 tbsp Capers
1 tbsp Mayonaise
4 Ripe plum tomatoes
A bunch of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix tuna, chopped onion, shredded cucumber, capers, Italian parsley and mayonnaise. Mix well.
2. Season tuna with salt and pepper.
3. Cut one centimeter off the top of each tomato.
4. Core the tomato and remove the flesh with a spoon.
5. Divide the tuna mixture evenly and stuff each tomato.
6. Serve chilled.