Did you know that kiwifruit has twice the Vitamin C amount of oranges per 100g? These furry fruits can be consumed by itself or used to make delicious dishes. Try these wholesome kiwifruit dishes that make perfect offerings for this holiday season!
2 Zespri ® Green Kiwifruit
400g salmon steak
1 small chili, seed and diced 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbspolive oil
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup or honey
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Marinate salmon steak with chili, vinegar and maple syrup or honey for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, peel and slice the Zespri ® kiwifruit into wedges.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and grill the salmon steak for few minutes until just cooked, or bake the salmon in oven at 150˚C for 10 minutes.
- To assemble, pile salad greens in the centre and top with salmon and kiwifruit.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing and drizzle over the salad. Garnish with extra black pepper if desired.
NYONYA-STYLE ASSAM FISH CURRY
3 Zespri ® Green kiwifruit, peeled and quartered lengthwise
75 ml oil
1 torch ginger, quartered and lengthwise
600g fish, cut into 5cm chunks or 3 cm
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp sugar
1 rounded tbsp (40g) tamarind pulp
650 ml water
Chili paste ingredients
15g dried chilies, snipped into 1cm lengths
3 fresh red chilies, seeded and sliced
100g shallots, sliced
2 stalks lemon grass, sliced
1 cm (5g) turmeric root, sliced
5g shrimp paste
125 ml water
- Soak dried chilies in warm water for 15 minutes until softened. Rinse several times, discarding as many seeds as possible.
- Place the dried chilies, fresh chilies, shallots, lemon grass, turmeric, shrimp paste and water in an electric blender. Whiz to a fairly fine paste and set aside.
- Squeeze tamarind and 650 ml water together with your fingers to extract pulp. Discard seeds, set tamarind juice aside.
- Heat oil in a roomy pan and add blended chili paste, cooking on low heat until most of the liquid evaporates, oil surfaces and mixture smells “cooked” and fragrant.
- Add tamarind liquid and bring mixture to boil.
- Add torch ginger, salt and sugar. Simmer mixture on medium heat for 5-6 minutes before adding fish. Cook until fish turns opaque, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add kiwifruit, bring mixture back to boil and take pan off the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Choc’ O Green Muffin
2 large Zespri® Green Kiwifruit
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup sugar
2 cups (250g) self raising flour
75g butter or margarine
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup (125ml) milk
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (375˚C)
- Lightly grease 10 muffin cups
- Place the chocolate chips, sugar and sifted flour into a bowl
- Melt the butter or margarine and combine with the egg and milk
- Pell the kiwifruit and dice to 1 cm. Reserve a little fruit for the top of the muffins.
- Add the liquid ingredients and diced fruit to the dry ingredients and combine quickly, until just moistened.
- Spoon into the muffin cups and dot with the saved fruit.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
Special thanks goes to Zespri®Kiwi Fruit for these delicious recipes!