Raw, dried, chopped, julienned… when it comes to cooking, there can never be enough garlic!
Not too sure how to cook vegetables? One of the easiest (and healthiest) ways is to simply stir-fry them with garlic. Sick and tired of eating plain bread with butter? Just add chopped garlic and toast the bread for some delicious homemade garlic bread.
Garlic is versatile and has a wondrous ability to add a lot of flavour to just about any dish. This is one of the reasons why it is often a key ingredient in many Asian recipes. To add to the infinite list of delicious dishes with garlic, here are two amazing recipes for you and your family to enjoy.
Herbed roasted chicken with garlic sauce
For roasted chicken:
1.2 kg Chicken breasts
2 tbsp Fresh Italian parsley
2 tbsp Fresh thyme
2 tbsp Fresh tarragon
1 tbsp Olive oil
½ cup Freshly squeezed orange juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
For garlic sauce:
400 ml Chicken stock
1 Shallot, chopped
4 cloves Garlic, julienned
1 tbsp All-purpose flour
1 tsp Unsalted butter
Salt and pepper
- Remove herbs from stem and chop together.
- Then, place chicken in a large bowl and mix chopped herbs, olive oil, orange juice, salt and pepper. Marinate for at least 4 hours or preferably, overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 170 ᵒC and roast chicken for about 30 minutes or until fully cooked. Occasionally baste chicken with marinade.
- While chicken is cooking, drizzle a little olive oil on the garlic and air-fry for about 5 to 8 minutes, until crispy. Alternatively, you can use a toaster or oven.
- Now, transfer roasted chicken breasts to a plate.
- Pour all cooking juices from the roasting pan to a bowl. You may use a strainer to strain the cooking juice.
- Pour chicken stock and cooking juices into a pan
- Add butter, shallots and garlic.
- Bring sauce to a boil, add flour and stir until sauce is smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken warm, together with garlic sauce alongside a bed of vegetables.
Garlic fried rice
2 cups Cooked brown or multi-grain rice
1 bulb Garlic, chopped
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 carrot Chopped
2 tsp Japanese light soy sauce
A handful of chives, sliced
A handful of spring onions, chopped
Salt and white pepper
- In a wok over medium heat, add oil and fry garlic until brown.
- Then, add carrots and stir-fry until cooked.
- Add rice and chives, mix well.
- Add soy sauce, followed by salt and pepper to taste.
- Top fried rice with spring onions and serve hot.