Planning to go from white to brown rice? Make sure you try these recipes!
If you’re a rice lover and would like to get started on a more nutritious diet, brown rice is an option you should definitely consider. Aside from enjoying it with home-cooked vegetable and meat dishes, here are two special ways to try brown rice. The added bonus? These are both vegetarian recipes!
2 cups Brown rice
100 g Shimeiji mushrooms
100 g Fresh button mushrooms, sliced
100 g Long beans, sliced
100 g Vegetarian ‘char siew’/barbequed pork *
100 g Fried vegetarian ‘anchovies’ *
- Cook brown rice in a rice cooker, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, heat up a medium-sized pan over medium heat.
- In the pan, stir fry mushrooms, black fungus, long beans, vegetarian char siew and anchovies.
- As soon as the rice is cooked, mix the stir fried ingredients with the rice.
- Add salt, pepper and soy sauce according to taste.
- Close rice cooker lid and serve after 15 minutes.
Refreshing rice tea
3 bags Korean brown rice tea
A handful of fresh mint leaves
- Place all 3 tea bags in a medium-sized teapot.
- Pluck the mint leaves from its stem and roughly tear the leaves.
- Put mint leaves in a tea leaf infuser and place in a teapot.
- Fill the teapot with boiling water.
- Steep the tea and mint leaves for 10 minutes before serving.
* Cook’s Note: You can find vegetarian char siew and anchovies at major vegetarian food stores.